I remember buying my first Nintendo system with all my saved up pennies when I was young. I can't remember my exact age, but I believe it was sometime near the end of elementary school. Mario Brothers was my game of choice, and I loved playing it. I also owned Duck Hunt and even had the 'gun' that goes with it. At the time I didn't think about anything except how fun the game was and how I was going to 'win' at each one. I didn't think about how playing with a video gun and shooting animals would affect me in the longer run. And now? Well I'm a vegetarian and would never think of letting any type of gun, video game or not, into the house. So now, with a baby on the way, the issue of video games has popped into my mind.
My husband just recently bought a brand new XBOX360, which he is extremely proud of and plays a couple times a week. What happens once we have a young child running around our very tiny house? Is it OK for the baby to hang around the video game while it's being used? What about once the baby is older and starts to propose an interest in the unit? While Mario Brothers and Duck Hunt ruled the TV years ago, now all I see is Call of Duty and Halo. I believe that these games are not appropriate for young children, but where do you draw the line? Should my husband only play at night when the child is sleeping? At what age can father and son play the same games? Sure Duck Hunt doesn't seem serious or life threatening right now, but did it seem that way to some during its time?
Currently I'm not sure what to do about the whole thing, but I feel it will be a learning process as we go. A friend told me today that it's hard to shield our children from the distasteful aspects of society. Instead it is important to teach them proper morals and ethics, so that when they encounter less than desirable situations, they will be better equipped to handle it.
No comments:
Post a Comment